7 Facts about the Long Island House Mouse
If you’ve found mice in your house, you’re not alone! Experts estimate that over 21 million homes are invaded by mice each year! The House Mouse is the most common mouse found on Long Island. We also see the smaller deer mice or white-footed mice in homes.
House mice are small – only 2 inches long – and range from light brown to black in color.
7 House Mouse Facts
- Mice are not so cute that you can overlook the crap they produce. One mouse can produce 40 and 100 droppings per day! In addition, house mice constantly give off micro-droplets of urine as they travel around their territory.
- Mice carry as many as 200 human disease-causing agents – pathogens including Hantavirus and Salmonella. Deer mice can introduce parasites like fleas, mites, and ticks into your home. Both mice contaminate food stored within your home and food prep areas with their urine and feces.
- Mice eat between 15 and 20 times a day. The house mouse usually eats cereal grains but they will also eat many other kinds of food.
- All mice can jump a foot into the air which allows them to easily climb up onto kitchen counters or into pantries to access food.
- Other mice tricks include are climbing and running up any rough vertical surface. They also can run along wires and cables. Mice can squeeze through openings slightly larger than 1/4 inch in width.
- House mice have a tremendous capacity to reproductive. In a single year, a female may have five to 10 litters of usually five or six young each. Young are born 19 to 21 days after mating and reach reproductive maturity in six to 10 weeks.
- The life span of a mouse is usually nine months to one year.
How Can You Keep Mice Out of Your Home?
Suburban Exterminating offers a Rodent Shield which is an all-natural repellent applied to your home’s foundation. While we smell a minty odor, rats and mice hate the smell and taste. The product is made of all-natural essential oils which bind to your home’s foundation and are not easily washed off.
You can find other homeowner mice control tips here
Call today to get rid of the mice in your home (631) 864-6900 | (516) 864-6900 | (631) 287-6900