The new school year has begun, the weather is turning, and outdoor activities are winding down. As summer fades into fall, late summer sees an increase in pest activity that can leave home and business owners in Suffolk and Nassau County at a loss. With warmth and humidity still present, pests that have grown in numbers over the summer are now invading homes in search of their next meal, and a place to winter over.
Which Pests are Prevalent in Late Summer
Late summer is a prime time for pests to invade homes. From common insects to rodents, here are some of the culprits that you might encounter during this season:
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes spread dangerous diseases like malaria, West Nile Virus, and dengue fever, making this pest an acute health risk. They can swarm in the thousands and will easily take advantage of untreated standing or stagnant water to breed in that are on your property.
- Termites: These sneaky pests can be found anywhere wood material is located, with the warm humidity of late summer being ideal conditions for advancing their invasion. Their infestation can take years for an untrained eye to notice, and by then the damage may be too great.
- Bees, Wasps & Hornets: These stinging pests may have found places on your property like undisturbed gutters or soffits to build a nest that by late summer has become well established. Garden blooms and overripe fruit can find your yard a hub for activity from these potentially dangerous pests.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches love the humid warmth of late summer weather and will be seeking out reliable food sources and shelter to escape the coming cold.
- Spiders: With some species being more active in summer, you may notice an uptick in spider activity. If their food source has found their way into your home, you can bet spiders will be close behind.
- Rodents: Damaged screens, gaps in door frames, neglected gutters, and open chimneys are all easy access points for rodents like mice or rats to invite themselves into your home.
- Nuisance Wildlife: Along with rodents, wildlife like raccoons, opossums, and squirrels will easily find their way inside if cracks or damage to structures like soffits or decks are not repaired quickly.
Professional Pest Control – All Year Long
Whether you’ve found yourself with an acute pest issue, or are seeking preemptive year-round pest control, the experts at Suburban Exterminating have got your back. With a passion for providing quality service and over 63 years of dedication to innovative solutions, our team of highly trained professionals know how to safely and effectively remove any pest issue you may be facing. Don’t hesitate, for a free quote call today!