If you are a homeowner in Long Island, New York, you may have witnessed a disturbing sight in spring: swarms of winged termites flying around your property. These are not mere pests but dangerous invaders capable of wreaking havoc on your home. It is why you need to know what causes termites to swarm, which types of termites swarm, and how to prevent them from infesting your home.
Why Do Termites Swarm?
Termites are social insects. They live in colonies underground or inside wood. They feed on cellulose found in wood, paper, and other plant materials. They usually hide from sight, but in spring, once a year, termites with wings come out of their nests to mate and start new colonies. This swarming is a sign of a mature and active termite colony nearby.
Which Termites Swarm in Long Island NY?
There are many different types of termites across the United States, and each has a unique set of behaviors and characteristics. Knowing exactly what species you’re dealing with can make eradication and exclusion a much easier process. Several different types of termites can swarm in Long Island, but the most common ones are:
- Eastern Subterranean Termite: This is North America’s most widespread and destructive termite species. It lives in moist soil and builds mud tubes to reach ground-level wood sources. It can cause extensive damage to wooden structures and furniture. It swarms from March to May, usually on warm and humid days after rain.
- Formosan Termite: This is an invasive termite species that originated from Asia. It is more aggressive and destructive than the native subterranean termites. It can form huge colonies with millions of members and chew through wood, plastic, metal, and concrete. It swarms from April to July, usually at night when the temperature is above 68°F.
- Subterranean Termite: This is a general term for any termite that lives in the soil and feeds on wood. It includes the eastern subterranean termites, the Formosan termites, and other less common species. They all swarm in spring or summer, depending on the weather and the region.
How to Prevent Swarming Termites from Infesting Your Home
Prevention is the best cure! Knowing how to avoid termites in the first place is the most effective way to avoid damage. After all, infestations can take years to detect, and they can cause a significant amount of destruction in that time. To prevent swarming termites from infesting your home, here are some tips you can follow:
- Inspect your home regularly for signs of termite activity, such as mud tubes, damaged wood, discarded wings, or live termites.
- Eliminate any moisture or wood contact sources around your home, such as leaking pipes, faulty gutters, wood piles, or mulch.
- Seal any gaps or cracks in your foundation, walls, or roof that could provide entry points for termites.
- Avoid using untreated or decayed wood for your construction or landscaping projects.
- Hire a professional exterminator to treat your home with effective termite control products and methods.
Call a Professional Exterminator
To eliminate termites from your property safely and effectively, you need a professional exterminator with the right experience and equipment. Suburban Exterminating provides comprehensive termite control services that can protect your home from these destructive pests. We will inspect your home for signs of termite activity, identify the type of termite involved, and apply the appropriate treatment to eradicate them for good.
Do not let termites ruin your spring or your home. Contact us for a free estimate on our termite control services. We serve all areas of Long Island with quality pest control solutions.