What do acrobat ants look like?
Acrobat ants are a fairly small species of ant; adults range in size from 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch in length. They are yellowish-brown, black or multicolored. Acrobat ant bodies are segmented and one of their most unique features is their heart-shaped abdomen, the abdomen is a darker color than the rest of their body.
Acrobat ant behaviors
Acrobat ants are called ‘acrobat’ because of their unique ability to lift their abdomen up and over the rest of their body giving the illusion that they are performing acrobatics, like in the circus.
In the outdoors, acrobat ants tend to nest inside of tree cavities, decaying logs, underneath of wood or leaf piles, and in/under decks, porches, sheds, and roof eaves. Indoors they nest behind wall voids, and in wood that has been previously damaged by water. They will also take advantage of tunnels and nesting areas that have been abandoned by termites or carpenter ants.
Acrobat ants eat a wide variety of food; they often feed on the honeydew that aphids and mealybugs excrete. Also, they do feed on dead and live insects, along with sweets and proteins that are commonly stored in homes.
Are acrobat ants dangerous?
Even though acrobat ants have the ability to sting, they rarely do and are rarely considered a threat to people. Acrobat ants mostly live and nest outside, and when they make their way inside of a home they don’t cause any real damage or harm. Acrobat ants will however, contaminate food and give off a foul-smelling odor when crushed.
These ants are a nuisance and like other ant species once they make their way indoors, they can be very difficult to completely eliminate from your home without the help of a professional pest service.
Can Suburban Exterminating help with an acrobat ant problem?
Yes, Suburban Exterminating can help control and eliminate acrobat ants. Our technicians will inspect your home and property first to correctly identifying whether acrobat ants are in fact the invading species. Then we can provide services through our Seasonal Pest Protection Plan to safely and effectively get rid of all acrobat ants trying to make your home their home. This pest protection plan works by finding and eliminating all of the acrobat ants that are hiding inside and then creating a year-round perimeter around the outside of your house to keep any new acrobat ants and other pests from coming inside!
For more information about getting rid of acrobat ants, or to schedule your free inspection call Suburban Exterminating today!
Acrobat ant prevention tips
Preventing acrobatic ants or any other pest can be a difficult task, but along with having year-round pest control services in place, there are a few things that you can do to aid in preventing acrobat ants from coming indoors. Here are some useful steps to take:
- Remove dead or decaying trees, limbs, stumps, piles of leaves and other organic debris from your property.
- Woodpiles, compost piles and outdoor trash should be placed a distance from your home.
- Keep trees, bushes and other landscaping trimmed back from your home’s exterior.
- Make sure that gutters are working properly to direct water away from your home.
- Seal any cracks or crevices in your home’s foundation or exterior walls.
- Install door sweeps on all exterior doors.
- Caulk any voids or spaces around windows, doors, pipes, and utility entrances.
- Repair or replace damaged door and/or window screens.
- Remove and replace any water damaged wood or insulation from your home.
- Properly store food in your kitchen and or pantry by sealing it in either glass or plastic containers or in the refrigerator.
- Do not leave food out on counters or dirty dishes in the sink for long periods of time.