Yellow Jacket Wasps Becoming a Problem?
Yellow jacket wasps become a problem on Long Island as soon as the temperature heats up. Sometimes, yellow jackets are confused with bees. Yellow jacket wasps can sting multiple times which can cause severe allergic reactions.
Yellow Jacket Wasp Facts
- Yellow jackets will sting multiple times.
- Yellow jackets can cause allergic reactions. They are dangerous!
- Yellow jackets have a wasp-like shape. Typically, they have a black and yellow abdomen.
- These flying insects are social and live in nests. Nests can be found in the ground or in eaves and attics.
- Yellow jacket nests are made of chewed up cellulose.
- One yellow jacket nest can contain up to 4,000 workers. Wow!
- Yellow jackets are territorial and will sting if their nest is threatened!
- Do not swat at a yellow jacket! Swatting will increase the chances of an aggressive reaction from this insect.
- To avoid yellow jackets, wear shoes when walking in the grass and avoid wearing perfume.
- Yellow jackets love open trash cans. Keep your garbage cans closed and empty them frequently.
The National Pest Management Association advises you to seek immediate medical attention if stung!
Contact a licensed pest professional like Suburban Exterminating to remove bees nests and other stinging pests from your home and yard. Suburban Exterminating can be reached at (631) 864-6900 or (516) 864-6900 or (631) 287-6900.
Finding Wasps in your Long Island Backyard
Stinging pests can include digger wasps, bees, cicada killers, wasps, hornets, mosquitoes and yellow jackets.
Where can wasps make their homes? Here are a few reports from your Long Island neighbors.
Huntington Station reports: I think we have wasps starting to stay in the siding by our front door. I want to know if you can help to remove them permanently, and if so how much is the cost. Please get back to me as soon as possible. Thank you.
Eastport homeowner: I see yellow jackets everywhere in my yard! I can’t seem to be outside at all, my dogs can not be out there either. My guests at my first family BBQ had been stung 17 times
Brentwood: We have a yellow jacket infestation in our house and need to get it taken care of as soon as possible. I have yellow jackets under the pvc frame around my front window next to front door. I have sprayed using two different bee sprays to no avail. I just got stung in the hand this Sunday eve. Need someone to come and spray all window areas outside. Thank you
From Hauppauge: I believe I have a nest indoors. I had a small hole from the outside that was recently covered up and I believe they were getting in that way.
Suburban Exterminating can help you to remove these stinging pests. Give us a call at (631) 864-6900 or (516) 864-6900 or (631) 287-6900.
For more information on bees, wasps and other stinging pests, see our pest identification page.