Preventing Long Island Squirrel and Rodent Problems
On Long Island, customers are reporting an increase in squirrel, mice and rat problems. Here are a couple of examples of wildlife problems reported. In Central Islip, Don R. reports a squirrel problem in roof soffit and in wall of home. Something is running around in the attic of a Centereach homeowner. He also reports pantry moths and ants. And in Northport, Jessica S. has some kind of animal in her attic.
Perhaps the most alarming (or funny) customer report came in via our live chat:
(10:07:21) Suburban Exterminating customer service rep, Joanne T Hello, thank you for visiting. Can I help you in any way?
(10:07:21) Visitor Hello Joanne
(10:11:39) Visitor I'm being attacked by giant rats. They have me cornered in my bathroom and there's no way out for me
(10:17:02) Visitor They've already eaten my dog and my declawwed cat is losing her mind because she knows she's next if I don't get us both out of this house
(10:19:08) Visitor Joanne send help please I beg you
Pest Prevention Tips
We’re always looking to help Long Islanders with any type of pest control problem. Some tips to keep rodents and other animals from invading your home include:
- Clean up spilled food immediately.
- Put away all food at night, including pet food and bird feeders.
- Keep garbage can lids tightly sealed.
- Trim shrubs and trees away from your home.
- Use door sweeps on exterior doors.
- Use chimney caps.
- Keep grass and shrubs cut short.
- Store firewood off the ground and a safe distance from your home.
- Seal any openings larger than 1/4″ including on your foundation, interior walls and your roof.
- If you suspect you have a mice, rat, squirrel or other rodent problem, contact a pest control professional.
On Long Island, contact Suburban Exterminating at (631) 864-6900 or (516) 864-6900 or (631) 287-6900.