navigation Menu

Suburban Exterminating's Blog

17 July

If You Get Stung…

US News reported that over half a million people go to the emergency room each year because of insect bites. It’s not usually a problem (rather an annoyance) unless the individual is allergic to stings.

People who are allergic should consider getting the allergy shot. This shot works like a vaccine, building up a tolerance. They should also avoid all stinging insects, including bumblebees.

Symptoms of an allergic reaction include:

  • hives (itching/swelling)
  • tightness of the chest and throat
  • swelling in the face
  • dizziness

Though people with known allergies should obviously be more cautious, it’s important that everyone avoid stinging pests. It’s possible to develop allergies at any point in time. Even if someone has been stung before and there were no complications or reactions, stay away from these bugs. We encourage people to use insect repellent. However, they should wash it off with soap and water if a reaction occurs or simply when they’re back inside.

If stung:

  1. Remove the stinger with a straight object (the FDA suggests a credit card because tweezers may cause more venom to excrete from the stinger).
  2. Clean the area with soap and water. This avoids infection.
  3. Applying ice will help the swelling.
  4. Seek medical attention if the area becomes infected. Someone who’s infected will develop a fever and the redness/soreness will worsen.

The BEST way to avoid getting stung is to remove the pest! Call  Suburban Exterminating to remove  bees and wasps  (516) or (631) 864-6900

Tags: stinging insects  |   stinging insects control and removal  |  

 

Navigate Posts:

Older Post Newer Post

Suburban Exterminating Service Inc. BBB Business Review X