5 Interesting Facts about Spiders
You begin to see spider webs all over Long Island around Halloween. Spiders and spider webs are perfect decorations for spooky parties and more!
5 Facts About Spiders
- Don’t insult a spider by calling it an insect! Spiders are in the same family group, Arachnida, as ticks and mites. They only have two main body parts: a combined head / body / legs and an abdomen. Insects have a 3 body parts: a head, thorax and abdomen.
- Spiders rarely bite people! Spider’s fangs are often too small and weak to chomp on people. If a spider does bite, they are defending themselves. Instead of blaming the spider, any of these insects might have bitten you – wasps, ants, fleas, mites or something else entirely!
- Tangled in a spider web? We mostly observe the orb web which is round, spiral or "geometric" type of web. These type of webs are often fairly large and hang mid-air. In other areas of the country, you might see sheet webs, funnel webs and yes, even cob webs. Each type of web captures a different type of prey. Both sheet webs and funnel webs are not sticky.
- Spider webs are strong! Scientists have spent years trying to reproduce the exceptionally strong and resilient spider web silk. One of the strongest materials is the silk that spiders use to build their webs, trap their prey and dangle from your ceiling.
- Spiders have more legs than they need. Normally, a spider has 8 legs. It’s been determined that a spider only needs 6 legs to live, hunt and spin a web!
Is there anything cooler than watching a spider eating a fly? Or how about a spider eating a fish? Or a spider eating a frog?
You’ll find tips about preventing spiders in your home and more here.
Just for fun:
Color and send us back this color-by-number spider on our kid's activity page for a prize =) Don't forget to tell us your name and address! We're at Suburban Exterminating, 879 W Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown, NY 11787.
Why was the spider upset with google? Google kept taking down his websites!
How do spiders communicate? Through the World Wide Web.
What is a spider’s favorite TV show? The newly web game!
What do you call an undercover spider? A spy-der
What do you get if you cross a tarantula with a rose? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't try smelling it!
Why can you never trust spiders? Because they post stuff on the web.
What do geeky spiders like to do? Make Websites.